Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Knit Along: Day 1

Well today is officially the first day of the sweater knit along I am doing over at luvinthemommyhood and so far not so good.

That is, I haven't got my yarn yet!  As I mentioned earlier, I ordered it from a lady on Ravelry who was getting rid of some in her stash.  It seemed like a good way to get what I needed, reduce someone else's clutter and not create more of something in the world that doesn't need to be created.  Unfortunately, it meant I had to deal with Canada Post.

According to Canada Post parcel tracking, my yarn spent 5 days in Montreal (WTF?) and then arrived this morning.  "Attempted Delivery" it said.  Anyone who has dealt with Canada Post knows that this means "We saw that the parcel was too big for the mailbox but didn't bother checking if you were home so here's a delivery notice".

Your parcel was right here!  But you missed it.  So now you need to follow it to a new location.

In my case, I didn't actually see the delivery notice because there is only one mail key and it's on DFs keychain with him at his workplace so I have no way of getting it.  But I figured it had been a few hours since the infamous delivery attempt and I have picked parcels up without a delivery notice before so it shouldn't be a problem.

So I walked all the way there, tied the dog up outside, told her "Be quiet while I'm inside!" and walked up to the counter only to be told "Our computer is down, so unless you have a delivery notice, we can't get it for you".

"But it just came in today, so shouldn't it be in that not so substantial pile of parcels that you haven't put away yet?"
"Yes.  But without the delivery notice we can't find it"
"But couldn't you just look in the pile really quickly?"
"No."
"Well, what about that girl with the drawn-on eyebrows scowling behind you with her arms crossed doing nothing? Surely she must be good for something!"
"She's busy."
"I see . . ."
"You'll have to come back tomorrow when you have your delivery notice with you"

And so I'll be starting my knit along one day late.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry! I'm in the States but live in a small town and there is one lady at our post office who I swear tries to be difficult to us all. She never smiles, I have 5 littles and usually have them all the time and while everyone else in town think they're adorable and well mannered...she thinks they are a nuisance. So I feel your Postal Pain :)

    However, I haven't started yet and I have my yarn so you won't be the only one a day behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a job requisite that postal workers be ornery. I was gonna ask you like 19 questions about what yarn you're using and what pattern you're doing . . . but I'll go to your blog and check it out instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. argh! HOW frustrating. I know how I stalk the postal lady until yarn arrives!... and when its just. behind. the. counter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baha! That is such a great visual - makes me think of when you're preparing dinner for the dog and they're dancing and getting all excited behind you because they know what's coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating! I hope you are able to get started now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Gauge swatched last night - what a thrill. Gauge was got and casting on will commence!

      Delete